The course focuses on building essential mathematical skills required for everyday practical use. It aims to equip learners with the tools they need to confidently apply mathematical concepts and problem-solving strategies in various real-life situations.
Number and Calculation Skills: Learners will develop their understanding of numbers and calculations through interactive activities and exercises. They will practice counting, ordering, and comparing numbers. The course will cover basic arithmetic operations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Learners will also develop skills in using money, time, and measurements.
Measurement and Shape Skills: The course will enhance learners' measurement and shape skills. They will learn to measure and compare length, weight, and capacity using appropriate units. Learners will explore basic shapes, such as squares, circles, and rectangles, and develop skills in recognising and describing them. They will also learn about basic angles and their properties.
Data Handling and Problem-Solving Skills: Learners will develop data handling and problem-solving skills. They will learn to interpret and present data using tables, graphs, and charts. The course will cover basic concepts of probability and statistics, enabling learners to make simple predictions and analyse data. Problem-solving strategies will be emphasised to help learners apply mathematical skills to real-life scenarios.
By the end of this course, you should be able to
- Count reliably up to 10 items
- Read and write numbers up to 10, including sero
- Order and compare numbers up to 10, including sero
- Add single-digit numbers with totals to 10
- Subtract single-digit numbers from numbers up to 10
- Interpret +, - and = in practical situations for solving problems
- Use a calculator to check calculations using whole numbers
- Recognise and select coins and notes
- Relate familiar events to times of the day; days of the week; seasons of the year
- Describe sise and use direct comparisons for the sise of at least two items
- Describe length, width, and height, and use direct comparisons for length, width and height of items
- Describe weight and use direct comparisons for the weight of items
- Describe capacity and use direct comparisons for the capacity of items
Shape and space
- Recognise and name common 2-D and 3-D shapes
- Understand everyday positional vocabulary (e.g. between, inside or near to)
Data and statistical measures
- Extract simple information from lists
- Sort and classify objects using a single criterion
- Construct simple representations or diagrams, using knowledge of numbers, measures or shapes and space
The course focuses on the practical application of mathematical skills in everyday contexts. Learners will develop skills to interpret and solve problems related to money, time, measurements, and basic calculations. They will also improve their ability to use mathematical reasoning to make informed decisions and solve practical challenges they may encounter in their personal and professional lives.
Throughout the course, learners will receive guidance and support from experienced instructors who will provide constructive feedback on their progress. They will have access to a range of learning resources, including textbooks, online materials, and interactive exercises, to enhance their learning experience.
By successfully completing the Certificate in Functional Skills in Mathematics (Entry Level 1), learners will have developed a strong foundation in mathematical skills, enabling them to confidently apply mathematical concepts in practical situations, pursue further education, and enhance their employability prospects.
Course Type / Level
Entry Level 1
Who is this for?
Update your Maths qualifications or top up your existing skills for personal improvement or work.
What are the entry requirements? There are no formal entry requirements for this course, but you will be asked to undertake an Initial and Diagnostic Assessment of your skills to determine the correct level for you.
Dates and Duration
Start Date: 19 September 2023
Time: 13:00 - 15:30
Duration: 20 Weeks
Start Date: 20 September 2023
Time: 12:30 - 15:00
Duration: 20 Weeks
Venue to be confirmed
You can progress to Entry Level 2 Maths to help you in your learning journey.